Friday 7 December 2018

The 2019 Project .


Well with my wife being on holiday this week and the interruption of 'real life Christmassy things' I have got almost nothing done hobby-wise . This has however given me time to consider what my major project for the coming year will be . Let's face it there was always going to be another one , so I've stopped trying to fool myself - there will ALWAYS be another new project in the offing (when the paint brush falls from my dead hand it will be mid - new project - I hope ! ) So the new project for the coming year will be the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745 .


I was looking through the various ranges on the 'Plastic Soldier Review' and was struck by the figures from 'Red Box' which are rather nice , they do 'Highland Infantry' , 'British Infantry' and 'Militia and Lowland Troops' . There are no cavalry or artillery so converting these will be a challenge , on investigation I found the Zvezda Russian Dragoons for the Great Northern War will do with a bit of doctoring . Above is my initial order for the Government troops .


For the opposition there is a limited choice of two boxes of Jacobites from Strelets . Sourcing these was more problematic - none on eBay and the U.K. plastic figure distributers hadn't got any ! . 'A' gave me a link to a Polish model site which advertised them but on ordering it seemed they didn't ! after an exhaustive search and much rending of clothing and hair (model companies say they have them but when you place the order - they don't !) I tracked some down in Italy, thanks to PayPal and the efficient mail order from the Italian company (Lucky Toys) I have LOTS of Highlanders . I will give some close ups  of the figures in another posting - they vary from the good to the odd , but I think I will be able to make something of them and I do like a challenge . 



18 comments:

  1. "New project" is one my favorite word-pairs!
    I will be watching...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am weak willed , always the new shinny ! (well plastic )

      Delete
  2. This will be a good project. I bought quite a few of the Red Box British troops to do a Dettingen game (but of course haven't done anything yet), they are lovely figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the Red Box are nice , the Jacobites need a bit more work .

      Delete
  3. The first step in the 12-month process is to admit you have a project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice of Project Tony. Bet you can thank your lucky stars chasing the packets of Jacobites from Italy. Have fun there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once upon a time you would have been daunted from ordering from abroad , but thanks to PayPal not now .

      Delete
  5. A great choice of project. I really look forward to to watching your progress. You have started with figures full of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I will need to do some conversion work to fill in the missing figure types but I'm looking forward to starting .

      Delete
  6. Great choice of project, I'm looking forward to watching this progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always been intrigued by this rebellion - and it nearly succeeded .

      Delete
  7. I grew to ...dread/despise Project Management at work so I avoid the term as anathema to a fun hobby. But this looks like another fun one for you. Not fond of the unpainted Strelitz figures but yours always turn out looking great.

    Looks to me like the Government Militia box could be a good source for more Jacobites esp Lowland and town raised ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the Strelets will need some work (those spears !?) and the militia and Highland infantry from Red Box will convert I think .

      Delete
  8. I loved the line "when the paint brush falls from my dead hand it will be mid - new project - I hope ! " hopefully that's the way we will all go ...
    Best of luck with new Jacobite project - check out Rod's blog at https://rodwargaming.wordpress.com for forts, wagons and plastic conversions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that blog has been an inspiration to me , lots of good ideas on it !.

      Delete
  9. Looking forward to seeing what you do with these figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tempted to start now - but I have things to round off before I have a go .

      Delete