Thursday 15 December 2016

Another New Trick For An Old Dog.


I've heard of a 'wet pallet ' but had no idea what it was till I saw a video on You Tube explaining it , it's a method for stopping your acrylic paint drying out and even keeping it moist over several weeks ! . Now we know how quickly acrylic paint dries out on a ordinary pallet and I find I have to keep topping up my paint over a painting session several times and I probably waste as much paint as I use . So I thought I must have a go at this - you can buy 'wet pallets' from the art/craft bit of EBay but they are rather large and quite expensive , on the video the chap makes one out of a Tupperware box , kitchen roll and some baking parchment . I couldn't find baking parchment at my local supermarket , so I ordered a 'wet pallet' refill from EBay  for about £4 which has some of the absorbent paper and parchment . I pinched a small Tupperware tub from out camping equipment (hopefully my wife will not notice ) cut the sheets to size added some water to soak into the bottom layer - tipped out the excess and laid the parchment paper on top , I them added my blobs of paint as above .


When your finished you fit the airtight lid and I'm reliably informed the paint remains usable -  you top up the water now and again . The figures are 10mm AWI Hessians for scale , I will report back how this experiment works . The video is -
https://youtu.be/96mjmqWTPfM?t=6s


6 comments:

  1. A cheaper and very effective alternative, is to use absorbent kitchen
    paper and then place a piece of greaseproof paper on top, and then wet the kitchen paper until it is sufficiently wet, but not standing water. The greaseproof paper is available at any supermarket..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think it was due to my ineptitude that I couldn't find the non- absorbent paper , the chap in video uses kitchen roll , Tony

      Delete
  2. It's a great trick, and has helped this old dog get a few new figures out!

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you keep mixed colours in this way as well as colours straight from the tube/pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still an ongoing experiment but I believe you could , some of the paint pigments react differently to the wet palette - metallic colours need remixing left overnight as the pigment and the liquid separate a little , Tony

      Delete