Wednesday 21 December 2022

Winter Solstice game.

 


So my wargaming colleague 'S' called round for a 'Winter Solstice' game, we did a 'AGW' game using my 54mm collection. (note how well wrapped up 'S' is - my gaming room is notoriously cold)


The table with the initial set of troops - my infantry in the foreground and my cavalry on the road right of the photo. 'S's on the far side of the table.


Things did not go well for me - my infantry take the wood but come under accurate fire from 'S's Zouaves and my newly painted cavalry are hit by accurate artillery fire and are forced back onto the hill


To add insult to injury my General drew a 'Chance' card and had to retire from the game.


My reinforcement finally come on - as my remaining cavalry is forced to retire . 


'S's Zouaves take the wood and drive off all comers .I was glad to see his cavalry had the same lack of success as mine did and left the table promptly .


'S' ponders the game which was a convincing win for him, my army never really got going and I lost my artillery as well to a spirited charge from his Rifle Volunteers.. A good game which flowed well and proves that once more that A Gentleman's War delivers.







 .


 







15 comments:

  1. Beautiful looking game Tony! A wonderful way to celebrate the Winter Solstice! Too bad the curse of the newly painted unit continues! Hopefully they improve on their next outing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They where bound to fail weren't they , good game though.

      Delete
  2. In defence of Tony it was actually a much closer game than it looked.
    Great fun and as usual lady fate enjoyed toying with us!!
    I would recommend AGM. As a wise old sage said '' easy to learn but difficult to master''

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Brad has already mentioned, at least you've gotten the first outing hex out of the way for your Brandenbergers, who will from here out be able to live up to the splendid show they present. Charming table and figures; an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes newly painted figures ALWAYS do poorly in their firt fight.

      Delete
  4. Super looking game. looks like plenty of fun was had. I love the table, the whole thing works so well, scenery, figures etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comments , it was a fun game.

      Delete
  5. Good to see you guys having a great game there Tony...54mm is certainly an impressive scale for your Gentlmans Games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed the experience - I do like 54mm figures - very 'toy soldiery'

      Delete
  6. Compliments to S on his beard! and victory.

    AGW becomes a little easier to master if one pays more attention to how the rules work than to...well... to some other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if 'S's beard was for a seasonal role ?

      Delete
  7. Superb looking game, although alas I see the Brandenburgers did not escape the curse on the newly-painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly no, they got shot up , retired , got shot up again then left the table - sigh , next time better perhaps ?

      Delete
  8. Great looking game with plenty of beard tugging going on.

    ReplyDelete