Thursday 15 December 2022

Extra Cavalry for 'Blue' Army.


Whilst I was re-boxing my 54mm collection it became apparent that Army Blue was a bit short on cavalry compared to the Red army . So I've managed to collect these six Britians hollowcasts to be turned into Teutonic Hussars . Being soaked in Dettol for two days has failed to fully remove the existing paint so they will have to do as they are . I've based them on MDF for stability and will be undercoating them.


Three of them were missing plumes, so I drilled into the busbies
 added a pin and coated it in super glue to thicken it . I've looked in various book and found that the figures are Britains Type A 3rd Hussars Officer (?) on head up spindly horse first issued in 1925. I'm looking forward to choosing a Prussian Hussar uniform to paint them up.


Think I might be going with the Brandenburg Hussars.







 

16 comments:

  1. Try methylated spirits. When I have used it it has removed the paint on old hollowcast very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of that , Dettol usually does the trick or bleach.

      Delete
  2. They look great Tony! They'll make a wonderful addition to Army Blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to painting them , I haven't painted any 54mm for ages.

      Delete
  3. I like them, they will look lovely when they get there new uniforms, and the Brandenburg one i a cracker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought I would go with the red uniform so that they stand out on the table.

      Delete
  4. I look forward to seeing the unit painted in due course. The Brandenburgers due look splendid but my favourites are the Pomeranians [5th?]
    Merry Christmas, Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing your Cavalry finished in the new scheme of Uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brandenburgers: splendid choice. I look forward to seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Brandenburg uniform dies look very attractive but not particularly appropriate for the Blue army?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know - but Army Red has a lot of blue uniformed Hussars so I wanted to be different.

      Delete
  8. What could be more Teutonic than hussars in black with death's heads on their caps? Black is also high visibility, especially in gloss - which is why RAF trainer aircraft are all painted a nice glossy black rather than the old trainer yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have a unit of Deaths Head Hussars in black, hence the need for a change of colour.

      Delete