Wednesday 4 September 2019

A change of pace .


'A' called for a game this week and we decided  on a game of Command & Colors Ancients . One of the problems in wargaming is finding time to actually play games and fit them into peoples busy lives ('A's not mine) and C&C fits the bill very well indeed . Here we see 'A' pondering his masterstroke . 


We decided on the Battle of Mantinea 418 BC between the Spartans and the Greek Argive city state . We have both got into C&C in a big way and have been selling off figures on eBay which we were never going to use again and spending the money on C&C boxes . This battle is from the Spartan expansion box which allows you to play battles of the Peloponnesian wars .


The battlefield , Spartans on the left Argive on the right . It was a tight run thing and I managed to win in the end through tactical genius (sic) . The one thing that appeals to us both is being able to fight the big historical battles which wargaming with figures would struggle to cope with , let alone buying and painting all those figures and the game was set up and played within an hour and a half - even with the usual wargaming chit chat . I have sold on my 28mm Ancient figures because I never used them - not having a set of rules I liked and find C&C works better for me and I get to play the BIG battles of Ancient history . 



10 comments:

  1. Try buying a hex mat and then using figures - our last game:

    http://scrivsland.blogspot.com/2019/08/battle-of-vimeiro-1808-using-command.html

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you start playing C&C it's the slippery slope, although so far I have only played Napoleonics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment sticking to the Ancients (the Napoleonic one is being re-printed next year - oh ! dear)

      Delete
  3. Looks like a good game... Might have to invest in a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big advantage is being able to set up and play a game in about a hour and a half .

      Delete
  4. Interesting Concept- as you say -it gives you the chance to play really big battles -and enjoy the experience. I've never played this type of game- closest thing I've done is 'Kingmaker' and I certainly enjoyed it with my mate Richard Wallis who sadly is no longer with me- though his spirit lives on eternal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must admit I am a newcomer to boardgaming and the C&C system is very easy to understand . I have played 'KINGMAKER' but it's about 30 + years ago .

      Delete