Friday 19 July 2019

Battle of the Akrim Valley (prelude).


Been playing through several small games using Featherstone's Ancient rules and doing a bit of tinkering with the hand to hand and morale rules . Here we see the Hyperborian army on the left of the photo Hyrkanian army on the far right .


The Hyperborian army , nearest the camera the Thurn Archers , next the Thurn Infantry then the 2nd Gwalur . The Guard Cavalry is in the top corner . I diced for the positions of units using the old Featherstone method - 1 = left flank, 2 = left centre , 3 = centre , 4= right centre , 5= right flank , 6 reserve .


The Hyrkanian force the 2nd Imperial Archers in front with the 1st and 2nd Imperial Infantry behind . The 2nd Imperial Light Horse are on the left flank out of camera and a Light War Engine in reserve . Apologies for the poor photos I'm using my phone's camera and the weather outside the window is dark and less than seasonal.


Something I've decided to add is an idea I thought up some time ago - 'The Favours Of The Gods' , each side rolls a dice before the game and the resulting pips can be spent on re-rolling dice during the game . I found these figures on eBay and the statue from Berlin Zinnfiguren . Hmm ! the gods are not smiling on Hyrkania - only a 2 ! .


Hyperborea is even more out of favour with only a 1 to spend on re-rolls ! . With the battle set up I'll report back as it progresses .





13 comments:

  1. Looks great! The 'Favors of the Gods' is a neat idea.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have not tried it out for real yet will see if it helps in the present game .

      Delete
  2. Beautiful looking table and game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , going for the Old School look .

      Delete
    2. I really like your old school look. Outstanding!

      Delete
  3. Looks such fun. The dice thingie is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It remains to be seen how it effects the game - although the Dice Gods are not smiling on either side so far .

      Delete
  4. I've had days when I wondered if I had offended 'the gods'.

    I often have the same problem with cell phone and a dark room (and with highcontrast and some times of the day and season). Recently by a combination of accident and trying various angles etc, I found that when its a bit dark, my phone focuses better if I pull back and zoom in a little rather than getting close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This being a new phone doesn't help , still getting used to it but will try the zoom trick .

      Delete
  5. The figures and table look great - nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful stuff Tony - I think I may be borrowing your idea regarding the Gods (suitably acknowledged of course!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think both sides have upset the gods this game - very poor results .

      Delete