Sunday 9 September 2018

We've Been On Holiday.


We've been for a weeks holiday in Northumberland staying on the coast at the small village of Beadnell , in the past we have camped but as we get older a comfortable bed indoors seems more appealing (plus the dog would run riot on a camp site !) . Here we see Bamburgh Castle looking moody and the Farne Islands on the left in the distance.


Think I posted this shot from this location  before but it is one of my favourites , Dunstanburgh Castle looking rather ragged - the years have not been kind to it and very much the ruin now.


At some point in the week me and Charlie past the 750 mile point on our way to 1000 mile challenge .


Mrs K looking windswept on Lindesfarne .


The weather was changeable ! - Beadnell beach .


Moody sky - Embelton Bay with Dunstanburgh in the distance .


I came across this small WW2 pillbox slowly being overwhelmed by the duns (it was full of sand) there are pillboxes at regular intervals all along this coast but this was a very small one - you would have only got a couple of men in it - the dog is for scale !.


NO ! this is NOT what it looks like ! it is me replenishing my store of fine sand which I occasionally use for basing figures and unfortunately had no other receptacle to put it in - I was careful NOT to get it mixed up ! 


This is my attempt to capture on film the only remaining piece of Hadrian's Wall in Newcastle ' it's on a busy dual carriageway and is only about 30 yds long and two courses of stones high - but it has survived ! . My wife was less than impressed and refused to stop the car (being a gal she doesn't understand these things !) . For the Hadrian's Wall nerds (like me) it is the broad wall on the broad foundation - very interesting - half way across the country the found out it was going to cost to much and swapped to a narrower wall - I shall dismount from my 'hobby horse' now . ( there's a jolly interesting bit of narrow wall on a wide foundation near Chollerford ! - okay I'll stop it !).












8 comments:

  1. A very nice Holiday there Tony on the coast. We've virtually nothing like it here - certainly no Hadrian's Wall to speak about...would be great to live there in England - virtually anywhere in the UK would be great- loved it there when we visited in May 2015. Have fun. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think you may have the better weather Kev , very Autumnal now .

      Delete
  2. Just to let you know if you travel into the city and walk from the Central Station towards the river a new piece of wall has been discovered next to the Lit and Phil building. They are busy making it safe for viewing. By the way I recommend a visit inside the Lit and Phil and Engineering library next door, both beautiful inside. Also if you walk across from the Central Station up Pink Lane towards the football ground you will see a large piece of the city walls using the original Hadrians stone.Pink Lane also has some good food and beer in the pubs up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info , it's been ages since I've to Newcastle , must visit again and catch up on developments .

      Delete
  3. A splendid part of the country, but no doubt a tad bracing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the wind was a factor but mainly dry which was all we wanted , one of my favourite places.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on passing the Three quarter mark of your 1000 miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I didn't realise till I counted the miles up at the end of the week .

      Delete