Tuesday 25 January 2022

The signature of the great man himself .


A couple of days ago the Featherstone book I ordered arrived , whilst I admit the contents are of limited interests (except for maybe a budding ballerina) it's main worth is the collecting aspect and the fact it has his signature on the title page . I'm not a collector of autographs normally but this was a man who has had a great influence on my life . Incidently my older sister as a youngster collected autographs the pride of place in the collection being Tommy Trinder (it was a long time ago) (a BBC radio comedian - to save you Googling him) . Also of interest is that he wrote a whole series of books on the prevention and treatment of back injuries . (click on the photo to enlarge it ) .


It also has an interesting biography of the author on the back of the book cover which mentions his literary career and his books on history and hobbies (no mention of wargaming) (again click on the photo to enlarge it)





 

17 comments:

  1. A nice find. I bought a tercio of unpainted warrior miniatures Spanish from his collection that a friend of his was selling at the Reveille Wargames show. I'm still unsure how to paint them, probably simple and glossy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes simple and glossy would be appropriate I think .

      Delete
  2. Now, I have a sample autograph to compare against my signed copies of Featherstone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have liked an autographed wargaming book but I suspect they might be a bit more expensive ?

      Delete
  3. A truly great find Tony, with its special significance to you! He led a very interesting life. I collect football cards and it is really special to get an autographed one, that I know was actually handled by a player that I respect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a very varied and eventful life didn't he !?

      Delete
  4. A great little find there!.

    I collect autographs of McLaren F1 racing drivers (past and present)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I was thinking autograph collecting had gone the way of stamp collecting as you never hear of it nowadays .

      Delete
  5. I've got a copy of Wargames with Don's autograph. Picked it up at a used book store 20 years ago. If you can cover the postage its yours.
    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also once bought one of Featherstone's wargaming book, with his signature inside - "Happy Wargaming" it said as well. I framed that page and it now adorns my wargaming room. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A splendid find Tony…I hope you read it from cover to cover and carefully follow all the advice…
    I was lucky enough to get a couple of my books signed by Donald in person…he was a very nice man and I have to admit that I was somewhat starstruck.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I never met the great man who has probably influenced my wargaming more than anybody else .

      Delete
  8. Inspiring stuff, a dapper cravat dust jacket photo and an alternative history and gaming free biography for Donald Featherstone. Maybe even the flash of a dancer's ankle ...
    *
    Be Fit at Forty! - hopefully there was a gamer's follow up at Fifty, at Sixty, at Seventy ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I should have had a copy of 'be fit at forty' about 20 years ago !

      Delete