Wednesday 23 September 2020

New Recruits .

 


We've had a couple of deaths in my flock of hens , one through old age and the other from an undetermined sudden cause ,  I was down to 2 birds , so I thought it was time to cast about for replacements . 


There has been a huge increase in demand for 'back garden hens' since the onset of the pandemic and I have heard of birds going for ridiculous prices . However I managed to track down a local supplier and got 3 birds for £12 each and here they are above in the photos . The are a Maran (dark one) , White Leghorn and a Speckled Leghorn , I must admit I chose them for their looks rather then their egg laying abilities .


The are fairly young ones 'point of lay' as they say, so no eggs in the near future . There is a bit of bullying going on between the old established birds and these new ones (the pecking order) . I've had a couple of escapes - they can get through very small holes and I recaptured one in the back field and one in my neighbors garden , hopefully I have bird proofed the run now . Fear not some wargaming content coming up next post .....





12 comments:

  1. Fine looking birds. My neighbour keeps chickens. I’m not the happiest of people when his cockerel is crowing early in the morning when I’m laying awake stressed 🙂.

    I guess ‘point’ must come from the French, as in ‘point de l’argent, point des Suisses’, and not [on] the point of lay[ing].

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we had a cockerel which didn't like me so not sadly missed , not sure about the term point of lay , my father used it to describe hens to young to lay eggs .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing further updates on the hens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice group of Hens there - hope they lay a swag of eggs for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice additions. We've just got 2 now, but they turn out an egg a day every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two older ones are moulting so not may eggs at the moment - may have to get some at Asda which goes against the grain somewhat.

      Delete
  6. I, being "S" of these blogs did carry out a full security check of the run using my 7 month old cockapoo before the new arrivals.
    The comment " is that your puppy chasing my hens " identified an obvious security breach!!
    Tony was warned!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring on those puppy training classes ! - for the puppy AND the owner ! : )

      Delete
  7. In my admittedly limited experience, rounding up free ranging hens has a lot in comman with wargaming, tactics, maintenance of the aim, seizing the initiative, anticipating your opponent's next move, luck....

    ReplyDelete