Wednesday 1 April 2020

Hyborian battle (part 1)


Whilst I'm in an Old School mood I thought I would set up and play a small Hyborian battle . On the left the Hyrkanian army, on the right the forces of Hyperborea . In the centre of the table is an important ford which has to be captured and held to win the game which will take 8 moves .


The Hyrkanian centre the 1st Thurn Infantry and behind the 1st Gwalur Infantry, they are flanked by half of the Thurn Archers . The army is commanded by Count Valenso .


Gayomar 'First of all Men' commands the Hyperboreans , in front a warband of Cimmerian warriors, backed up by the 3rd Imperial Foot Guards, in the distance a contingent of the 2nd Imperial Archers . Both sides also have a Cavalry regiment , the Fort Ghori Cavalry for Hyrkania and the 1st Guard Cavalry for Hyperborea .


The fate dice are thrown and Hyrkania gets 4 - these can be used to reroll saves and other important dice rolls .


Hyperborea also scored a 4 , so the Gods smile equally on both sides . Units were placed on the board by my usual dice throw method ., of course I will be using Featherstone's Ancients rules .







14 comments:

  1. A beautiful old school tabletop setup. Looking forward to reading about the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , it's a bit since I had these on the table , so I'm eager to play the game .

      Delete
  2. Fantastic stuff. I look forward to further news from the field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've nailed the look of the thing!

    I should mention that a... portion.. of your audience would love a few close ups as well as the big views......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Figures, scenery, current reading/gaming material - all wonderful! Did I mention the photos are wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why ! thanks , the tabletop needs another coat of paint which will have to wait till normality returns .

      Delete
  5. Lovely set up, and nice to see a bit of sun beaming in on the table. Look forward to the report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the weather has been pleasant - raining today though

      Delete
  6. You are going flat out to entertain us. Seriously what a lovely set up , just the thing to read about at the start of another lockdown day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid Tony...
    Of course I am now going to go and get my copy of Featherstone’s Wargames out and have yet another read through... :-)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had my copy for about 50 years and still find it inspirational .

      Delete