Thursday 2 August 2018

In The Nature Of A Experiment.


I've always used the best brushes for painting figures - usually Windsor & Newton as I believe you pay for what you get in this life , however I do tend to use one brush for everything till it dies of old age and bristleless . A bad habit I have is to use these good brushes for 'dry brushing' and nothing is worse for them - I have the odd brush suitable for 'dry brushing' but never can find it and so use the brush in hand which usually happens to be a good one . 


I was watching a podcast on You Tube and the chap was using women's make up brushes to 'dry brush' , now make up brushes are an unknown quantity to me - so I went and had a look at my wife's make up stuff that seems to litter the window ledge in the bathroom and found the afore said brushes . I thought it best not to try using her brushes for painting - in the cause of marital accord and had a look on eBay.


There are thousands of them ! mostly rather cheap , so I went for these ones - twelve for about £3 , they come in a variety of sizes . I will be trying them out and will report back how they work .



6 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your investigation. I usually have two brushes on the go - the one that is still a fine point for detail and the slightly older, abused one that no longer makes a fine point that I use for dry-brushing. I guess I also have a few larger brushes that I use for dry brushing larger areas - bases, vehicles, etc. But they're usually flat brushes. These make-up brushes look like they have an entirely different profile - somewhat flat, but rounded. I'm interested to know how they work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few flatter smaller ones and a couple of big fluffy ones , going to try the bigger ones on some Sci-Fi terrain I'm painting , will report back.

      Delete
  2. Tony- These 'Make-Up' brushes look the goods- they should work well.I tend to use cheaper Artist Bristle brush for dry-work, usually on model buildings and such. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The limited testing I've done so far seems to work okay .

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, there's something amusing about learning about makeup brushes from a man ;) I do quite a bit of dry brushing on 1:12 furniture and buildings as I like an 'well used/aged' look - I have a few bushes that otherwise would probably be consigned to the rubbish bin that I use but next time I'm in a dollar store I must check out the makeup brushes and give it a go myself. (No use looking for any on my bathroom windowsill, I'm not as glamorous as your good lady lol). In case you're wondering how I came to pop up here, I followed my mate Kev over ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my ramblings , I have a BAD habit of using good brushes for dry brushing and ruining them , so hopefully these cheap ones will break this habit .

      Delete