Tuesday 17 July 2018

Finally Getting There.


Well I got all the required figures cast  and  started cleaning them up , filing the bases flat and getting rid of any flash or mould lines .


The finished figures ready for the necks to be drilled out to fit the heads .


At this point Charlie who had been fast asleep across the room heard me start unwrapping a 'Kit Kat' biscuit !.


Having placated the dog with some of my biscuit I started drilling the necks out . I used my trusty 'Dremel' with a small bit to drill a starter hole then a larger one the same size as the shank on the head. I held the figure steady in an old leather glove held in place with a mould clamp. 


The finished figures glued to their bases ready for spraying black.





11 comments:

  1. PA does sell spare PTFE neck cores.

    https://shop.princeaugust.ie/pa2077-ptfe-2x-rods-2-5x18mm/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will remember that for the next round of casting - thanks .

      Delete
  2. Looking good. Must be satisfying doing the whole process yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There should be ptfe inserts with the moulds which form the neck holes.

    If they were not there I would suggest you let PA know and they will probably send you some replacements.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also

    I don't know which moulds you have - but if you want some different heads to try let me know.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought them second hand off Ebay from an non-wargamer so they were missing , have ordered some from Prince August.

      Delete
    2. It makes it a lot easier!

      Delete
  5. Do you use an electric drill, or hand motion? I ask because when I try power I get swarf build up on the drill bit, but a hand drill takes ages to get a decent hole. I'm always ready to learn new tricks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a hand held 'dremmel' type drill , I kept stopping to clean the bit as I drilled with an old knife .

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply. I too use a hand held, but use a pin type drill. At the moment I'm changing heads on some dorset castings (when it's cool enough). We've had no rain here since 17th of June, though some is promised (?) tonight.

      Delete