Thursday 12 July 2018

Casting Blues.


Things have come to a temporary halt on the casting front as my gas bottle has run out of gas . So I put it in my backpack (its awkward to carry and heavy-ish) and set off for the garage on the top road to swap it for a full one , I got there and found they had moved the safety cage they keep them in , on enquiring were they kept them now I was told - "we don't do them now - to much hassle with health and safety and we never sold many" ! - BLAST ! . So I'm going to have to find another supplier . 


I have done quite well in getting the next unit cast up seeing it's being very hot and so not pleasant slaving over a hot mould. The venting I did on the moulds seems to be working, but the metal I'm using is a bit rough but we are getting there.


7 comments:

  1. Bad luck..... I daresay gas stockists are getting fewer nationwide, the legislation and cost issues outweighing the desire to provide a decent service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes most caravans now use electric link ups , the building industry still uses bottle gas though.

      Delete
  2. When I started casting I used gas for heating and a ladel- later I purchased a 'LEE' Electric Pot- the 'LEE' is for making Bullet Heads and the US Product can be found at most Gunshops. The 'LEE' makes for vary easy-no mess- casting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can buy electric pots from Prince August I believe , I also have an electric hob - but it takes forever to heat the metal .

      Delete
    2. The 'LEE-Pro' melts the metal at variable electrical settings- and it pours from the bottom of the pot via a simple hand operated valve built into the machine- absolutely ideal for casting up to 54mm Toy Soldiers etc. Cheers. KEV.

      Delete
  3. Tru a solder pot.

    Prince August sell them - but simialr are available in ebay - and cheaper from HK/China.

    I have a 350W version which is great, however you do need a lot of metal in the pot as you have to be able to scoop out.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have been able to get another replacement gas bottle so back in production !

      Delete