Friday 2 March 2018

An Old Timer .


Whilst rummaging in my boxes of scenery I came across this - the older of you will recognise it to be the classic Hinchliffe Models box that they used to ship their figures in - ah! how many times have I excitedly open a delivery of these - something rather 'Dickensian' in them with their purple tissue paper packing . This one had but one figure in it -


I have no recollection of purchasing this figure , a Austrian Hussar Officer ( the above photo is from the present Hinchliffe catalogue)  as I didn't have any of their Napoleonic figures and can only assume it was bought as a sample figure for a long forgotten project .


As I have a Foundry 28mm Austrian army I thought it would be nice to get the old chap painted and onto the tabletop as a sort of Austrian Brigadier Gerard , so here he is ready to be painted up .


Well I really enjoyed painting this chap , I used my Liquitex acrylic tube paints I got for Christmas and he is in the uniform of the 4th Hesse-Homburg Hussar Regt. I find these older figures (it must be 40 years since Hinchliffe started producing figures?) have more character than the modern ones do , a certain style ! . He is now off to join my Austrian army as a Brigadier of the cavalry.










20 comments:

  1. You cant beat a classic and you have done a nice job on getting him painted.

    I hope he does not have to wait too long before he sees some action.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the twenty odd years spent in that box was long enough .

      Delete
  2. A lovely looking toy soldier...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work, he must be relieved to be finished. I've recently painted up some Hinchliffe medievals, and they were a joy to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sadly I sold off my original Hinchliffe ACW figures

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work, Tony, as always. As for Hinchliffes - as you say, they had style. I loved their dash and movement - not like the semi-obese plodders you get nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a rather excellent uniform. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rather more than 40 years. and they do have panache!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see archaeology in wargaming. The figure looks fantastic painted up. I enjoyed seeing the box too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes had dozens of them at one point , a work of art in themselves , better than the 'jiffy' bags one gets nowadays .

      Delete
  8. A wonderful figure and great paint job too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hinchliffes -a very nice job on the classic 'Brigadier'...hope to see him in action.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful job on the old chap. My local toyshop used to sell Hinchliffe in those evocative boxes. I had forgotten about the purple tissue. I still have some RHA to paint up! I bought them because they are in Charge!

    ReplyDelete