Tuesday 2 April 2024

Riders of the Purple Sage *


We have been on holiday to Anglesy and whilst visiting Holyhead my wife popped into a Charity shop (I waited outside with a whinning dog - who hates us not being together whilst we are on holiday) , when she came out she said "there are some of your 'little men' in there"(as she persists in calling my miniature figurines - toy soldiers). So handing her the dog lead I went inside and found some 54mm figures of various sorts ! , I chose these three because they are unusual - first up Buffalo Bill ! 


Wild Bill Hickok , perhaps not as good a portrayal as Buffalo Bill maybe.


Bronco Billy Anderson - not heard of him , but he was an early cinema star of  Western films . I've just cleaned them up and glued their arms in place and am looking forward to painting them as they are a very different than the 28mm plastic I have been painting of late. .Finding things in Charity shops is a matter of luck and having a wife that can spot 'little men' ! 

*1912 Western novel by Zane Grey.





 

12 comments:

  1. A very good find, some nice figures, the Buffalo Bill one especially is a cracker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good find. I have dreams about discovering war-games figures in charity shops. Never happens in reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with Charity shops is their stock is mainly house clearence / Spring cleaning stuff , so I don't think wargaming figures in any number appear very often.

      Delete
  3. Very nice that the wife brought the stash to your attention. It's clear that you haven't yet reached critical mass on toy soldiers in your household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to think I have subtly trained her to spot suitable figures ,and I have had a clear out of collection over the last few years.

      Delete
  4. An excellent find Tony… And fine additions to your ‘little men’ collection.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Little Men' seems quite apposite, I suspect my wife would've hustled me on to the next shop without saying anything... but perhaps I do her an injustice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't understand the 'little men' concept but recognises them

      Delete
  6. Excellent finds Tony, especially with the paperwork! Kudos to your wife, she did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have trained her well (looks over shoulder to see if shes's about !)

      Delete