Monday 30 January 2023

Recapturing my lost youth.

 



When I was a young man (a long time ago) there was a bookshop in my hometown of Kendal called Henry Roberts,  a very old fashioned and a bit foreboding overseen by the proprietor (who wasn't Mr Roberts) who looked over his horn rimmed glasses as you made your purchases and rather judged you . It was a very good bookshop and had a history section which I visited at ever opportunity.  Books were rather expensive in those days (early 70s) and for someone whose take home pay was about £5 took some serious consideration before a purchase.  I looked longingly at the above book over several weeks,  it cost 50 shillings net and I hesitated over this cost. On one visit I found it had been sold and was unhappy I hadn't took the plunge and bought it, I suppose I could have ordered a copy but it was a complicated and lengthy process so I lamented it loss and moved on - but I remember the title and to my joy I came across a copy in a charity shop last week which I seized upon immediately.  It's rather good in an old fashioned way and after all these years I pleased to have it finally. 

20 comments:

  1. Excellent result...I trust it was worth the wait?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a copy in the 1970's, I worked for W.H.Smith at the time so got a 25% discount. I comes out occasionaly for a re-read and is one of the few books I held onto when I had a clear out last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh! That looks good. Bet it costs you more than 50 shillings, but less than half a week's wage now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say, as it was from a charity shop, it could still have been less than fifty shillings...£2.50 nowadays?!

      Delete
  4. Happy to see that this book did not escape you this time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Books from our formative years are old friends, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you have been able to reclaim this significant book Tony! It was meant to be, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I could have searched on line but finding it like that was better.

      Delete
  7. We had a bookshop of a similar type, Henry Hogg...it as run by his son from memory, who was relatively young and not scarey at all! The "good stuff" ie military history etc, was in a cramped basement area of the Victorian building. Hope you enjoy the read, you have waited long enough to get your own copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly that sort of bookshop are few and far between.

      Delete
  8. Good to obtain the lost treasure book Tony - and at an affordable price too. It is good to have little reminders of our past interests...I still have my favorite book from my teenage years - 'Self Sufficiency'. Stay well this Winter. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seeing the cover of that book rang many bells for me of similar library loans and then dismay when I realised I don't have a copy in my collection. And just when I'm trying to shrink my holdings - curse you sir! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit it's a bit dated, but very well written with useful maps.

      Delete