Sunday 17 October 2021

A recalcitrant mold .





 

I've had this mold for quite a while , I got it cheap off  Ebay but never managed to get a proper casting from it . It is from a German firm called SCAD and is of a Franco-Prussian Bavarian infantryman in 40mm and semi flat . I thought I might add a unit to my Balkans War Imaginations collection to represent the little know Bavarian intervention in that conflict . 


So today being very wet outdoors I settled down to cut some vents into the mold to help the air escape and aid the molten metal flow around it . I'm waiting till tomorrow and the absence of my wife to test it out - not sure she fully approves of me using the cooker hob and sparing her the bad language if it doesn't work .


Here's the mold (upper right) with the other two ones I bought, I've cast the other ones without any problems . I will report back on the progress . 





4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very interesting project Tony! And very considerate of you to wait until the missus leaves to start casting! I wish you good luck and safe pouring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cast best alone whilst talking to myself and the mold .

      Delete
  2. It's a dark art. I'm having real trouble with some of the Hinchliffe moulds... I think the lower lead content in modern metal is causing problems on bows in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes older figures are definitely more 'bendy' , I use melted down old figures to cast and it can be a bit hit and miss .

      Delete