Sunday 15 November 2020

To re-paint or not to re-paint ?

 


I bought this chap off eBay , a nice figure with some paint chipping. I want to keep as much of the original character as possible so I'm planning to only touch up he damaged paint work . Now amongst serious figure collectors this is a controversial subject  but seeing I'm only using him on the tabletop I'm not to fussed ! . I've mounted him on a base so he doesn't keep falling over .


He's a bit of a character , rather a florid face - long service in foreign climes or too much port ? , I'm patching up the hole in his hat but not touching the face and I want to keep that marvelous orangey red tunic colour that contemporary figures have .


The finished model with the paint 'improved , General Pettygrew is ready for service in the 'Red' Army.










15 comments:

  1. A fine looking fellow indeed...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great figure and I like the way you have retained his original paintwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felt a shame to strip it when there was so much left .

      Delete
  3. He looks splendid Tony. The civilians are nice too; are they from Irregular?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The civilians are some old lead model railway figures I've had foe years that I repainted .

      Delete
  4. It is indeed a controversial subject but you have achieved a very a sympathetic restoration here, retaining all the integrity of the original toy, which I think collectors would appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems a fine line to tread with the devoted Toy Soldier collector

      Delete
  5. Good to keep the original paintwork especially the face. I usually leave the hollowcast drain hole as well, it's part of who they are ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you mean , I filled this one because it was quite prominent.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I thought that the holes in Britain's figures were lead rot?

      Delete
  6. Nice work there Tony - great restoration of a real antique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the patina of the original paint job and you did a good job of retaining this. If I’m going to use a toy soldier for wargaming rather than for collecting, then restoration works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The orangey red they used on the figures is marvelous so I wanted to leave it untouched as much as possible .

      Delete