Tuesday 10 April 2018

A Return From Obscurity .


Nothing personal dear reader - but an introduction to a collection of figures that have not made an appearance on this blog as yet .


About ten years ago (?) Warhammer Historical published the above rules and I started collecting figures for them , mainly 25mm Old Glory (they did some rather good deals at that time on big purchases) and really got into system and the era . 


A quartet of Davy Crockett's (l to r Boot hill Miniatures , Old Glory , ? can't remember and Dixon). The problem with the Texan War of Independence is everybody concentrates on the Alamo forgetting the other actions which are probably more interesting and don't mention to a Texan that Crockett died anything but a hero's death (A La John Wayne) as they get VERY annoyed !. 


Generalissimo Santa Anna and staff (in period type photo) . I played it a lot at the time but being a 'wargaming butterfly' I moved on and the figures got pushed under the wargaming table and got forgotten . I was having a clear out of books and rules I wasn't going to use/read again when I came across the rules and was overcome by waves of nostalgia , so I sat down with a cup of tea (and biscuits) and re-read them , they are simple enough but lack a robust morale system maybe . So I thought I should give them another go . The figures could do with sprucing up and there are a fair few needing painting (isn't there always!?) I don't think I need to buy any new figures for this project (Huzza !). So I will chart my progress in this old/new period over the coming weeks . 




8 comments:

  1. Good luck with your project to rejuvenate your old Texan War fo Independence armies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rather looking forward to it, not to much painting to do ! :-)

      Delete
  2. I have fond memories of an Alamo game put on at a con near Seattle. The Texans were possibly 1:1 while the Mexicans had a horde of figures and more importantly a bag full of 2d casualties (photo of wounded soldiers) equal to 1/2 of the real Mexican army. When all the casualties were gone, the Mexicans lost. 1 page set of rules.

    I was Santa Anna and ordered 2 of the attacking columns (pre-positioned) to move past the closest point of the fort and converge. The Texan commander well, we won't say panicked but he committed his reserves before he even knew exactly where we were attacking.

    My friend Tom was Davy Crocket. He tried to throw a powder keg over the wall but it went horribly wrong and he blew himself to bits.

    At the end Tom got a prize for the most spectacular character action/heroic death while I got one for being the first Mexican commander to take the Alamo on the first assault in the scores of times they had played the game.

    Fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Alamo was at on time a staple game for shows , great memory thanks

      Delete
  3. Interesting topic- I definitely like the old John Wayne ALAMO movie. Will you be doing Skirmish type games - or full blown massed army battles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to resurrect on old project!
    How's the walking going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes looking forward to getting them onto the table again . Got to the 200 mile mark approaching 250 , going not to badly thanks .

      Delete