Wednesday, 5 August 2026

Cutting,drilling and gluing .

 


Having just recieved a couple of  Prince August 25mm Napoleonic Royal Horse Artillery moulds  I cast up some for conversion to Prussian H.A., the pot has the makings of the crews. Also my new vice to hold things whilst I'm drilling  and I also invested in a new razor saw .


First decapitating the figures and the saving of Prussian heads - thank the Lord (and the Prussian High Command) for everone wearing covered Shakos in the Prussian army.


My new drill ! , a brilliant machine , not to expensive and designed for jewelry work . I have in the past used a small hand drill but found I was getting repetitive strain and having slipped and stuck it in my finger end numerous time it was time to upgun and also get a vice ! 


The author at work (photoed by my dear wife) , drilling a hole in the necks of the tiny heads was a challenge - hence my head magnifying glasses !


The first crew with their head glued on , they need a bit of tidying up and a bit of 'green stuff' to tart them up. I am using the RHA moulds because I needed figures with short coatees and swords , and will be able to convert French HA using the same moulds . Another update when I start painting them.











16 comments:

  1. Splendid conversion work! Decapitating 25mm castings and drilling out tiny metal necks is proper fiddly business.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but now I have better equipment it's easier.

      Delete
    2. Good equipment is half the battle won! It’s amazing how much more enjoyable fiddly conversion work becomes once you've got the right kit on the bench. Looking forward to seeing the next update!

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete
    3. Yes I have been putting off some of these conversions till my new equipment arrived

      Delete
  2. Nice conversions; the new drill looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ye it's the business ! and relatively cheap as well

      Delete
  3. Nice upgrades! I recently bought a small hobby drill of the push it and it'll spin type. After 50 years of a hobby drill of the 'turn it with your fingers while pressing' type, it felt like a modern miracle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I used to get cramp in my fingers after a while using the old drill .

      Delete
  4. Nice conversions, should look the part when they get their paint on. I really like the look of the drill, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the drill is brilliant , got it off Amazon , very reasonable

      Delete
  5. Your conversions look great Tony! There'll be no stopping you now! Your new tools really look the business, and should make things easier and safer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I would have seen that vice a few years back when I was doing similar fig modifications. Still, I might pick one up "just in case" now that you've shown the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having stuck the drill bit in my fingerend numerous times I had to get one , Amazon have numerous ones and quite cheap too.

      Delete