Friday, 14 August 2026

A brief moment in time.

 


Doing the round on social media at the moment . That brief window of time in the 70s when wargaming was 'cool' , White Horse whisky - you can take a 'White Horse Anywhere ' the young woman is Catherine Schell who stared in the Callan movie again with wargaming as part of the plot . I would guess the model figures and table are by Peter Gilder .

14 comments:

  1. The ideal image we had back then of what things would be like once we reached adulthood...I'm still waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes never arrive in the North of England I'm afraid.

      Delete
    2. Love the caption.
      The reality is me in my Mountain Warehouse shorts and shirt, drinking Lidl's Spanish lager, chasing next door's dog out of the garden before it ****s on the lawn.

      Delete
  2. Great find Tony! It all does look great! The 70's were the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes rose tinted spectacles perhaps but everything was fresh and new.

      Delete
  3. I made a blog post about this advert more than three years ago. Details at https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/2023/04/glory-days.html.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info , these thing come around again.

      Delete
  4. I missed the "wargaming being cool" era - I guess I was around 10 -14 years old; regardless of TV programmes involving Peter Gilder and co, and the Callan film etc, wargaming was NEVER cool in any social structure I inhabited! I occasionally see attractive young women in YouTube doing painting demos etc - I have never come across any of them in the flesh (so to speak) either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never came across it either , but was reassured that Callan having wargaming figures elivated it from 'playing with toy soldiers' .

      Delete
  5. This is what goes on in my house every evening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still a classic. A hobby of wealth and taste!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tony,

    Splendid find! That White Horse whisky ad is proper classic 70s nostalgia. Catherine Schell, Peter Gilder's figures, and a glass of scotch—it certainly painted a glamorous vision of the hobby!

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete